Internship Experience in Ryokan (旅館 - Japanese-styled Hotel)

'いらっしゃいませ' (Irasshaimase!)、'ありがとうございます' (Arigatou gozaimasu!)

Very common terms but the most polite terms. These 2 terms accompanied me during my whole internship period. 

If you do not know, I internship-ed in Japan for 2 months in the service industry. To know how I came across this internship opportunity, click here

The ryokans, aka Japanese-styled hotel, that I worked in were Takimotokan Yukinosato (滝元館遊季の里) and Umi no Hana (海の花). They are luxury ryokans strategically located closed to tourist attractions, which provide great hospitality and ultimate relaxation to the guests. Both are ryokans with private and public onsen. 

Since the main topic today is my internship experience, I'm not going deep into information of both the ryokans today. I will be writing more information on both the ryokans and the surrounding attractions in another post, or if you can't wait for it, please visit their website!


1. Appearance
The first thing I was told before receiving any job instructions was to keep a clean and tidy appearance when working, that include uniform and hairstyle. I'm not sure if you are interested in it, but uniform is the thing that I was anticipating. I love uniform and I like trying them. The uniforms provided for both the ryokans are pretty similar, except for the colour and some details. Apparently, they are called Samue. Originally, it is worn by Japanese monk and it is now adapted to casual work wear (info from Wikipedia), probably for its convenience while working and easy-to-wear design. This is how it looks like:

While I'm still staying in Takimotokan, I took an opportunity to snap a shot
Of course, hair has to be tied for the clean appearance!

During the winter, I actually wore pretty thick, about 3 layers: inner heat-tech, a normal middle cloth and the uniform. This is only for the last internship area as it is winter and the ryokan structure is a bit special in which we need to move between one building to another. So, it's like hot, cold, hot, cold. 

Umi no Hana's full black uniform

Oh, one more thing. Staff are not supposed to wear any watches while working as they do not want us to portray that we are constantly looking at the watch waiting for the guests. We are supposed to wait for them anytime, no matter how early or late they come in.


2. Working Hours
My working hours in Takimotokan is usually in night shift, which is from 1300 till whatever time the last customer is served and the things for tomorrow morning are prepared, usually around 2130 - 2230. However, sometime there might be a need to work in the morning shift 0700 - 1500. There was once where I work from morning till night, but there's a few hours break in the middle (I still remembered I wasn't feeling well that day). In case you guys are mistaking anything, I chose to not tell them about my condition. Nothing like they are using me as a free labour or cold blooded or anything.

Working hours in Umi no Hana is very short, from 1500 till 2100. Even if there were still things to do, I was "shooed" home, which I felt bad. Probably because I wasn't receiving any salary. However, for the last 2 weeks, I stayed back till about 2300 just to use the wifi to search for places to go during off days and to book for hotel. I'm really thankful that they allowed me do that. It saves me!

As for day off, I could request the day off I prefer but is subject to availability. For example, if there were any foreign guests on that day. Takimotokan has 1 day off per week while Umi no Hana has 2.

I would say that both have their advantages. For Takimotokan, even though there is only 1 day off, I could request for a different shifts if I want to go to any events. For Umi no Hana, the working hour is short and there were many days off.


3. Job Scope
Now, to the most important part, what job did I receive?

Firstly, I have to say that my proficiency in Japanese language is poor, about N3 level for JLPT. Even though I have been studying Japanese for 3 years (part time), I practically have no where to use the language. Don't even mention the polite form (Keigo) and the grammar part. They are my weakness (though I think no matter which language, I'm bad at them). Worse of the worst. So, I can only handle basic conversational Japanese.

Secondly, I'm new to hospitality industry.

Based on my "resume", I was given the not-so-tough jobs that require minimum contact with guests. However, as I was taught to remember some sentences and through constant observation and listening, I was still able to receive some "talking" with guests job. Any deeper conversation goes to, 'すみません、少々お待ちくださいませ。' (Basically, 'I'm sorry. Please wait a second.')

The job I received too is based on the shift I was assigned to but both ryokans job scope are pretty similar. Basically, the time when I work is the check-in time (1400 - 1700) - may differ depends on the internship area. During this "check-in" period, my job scope is as below:
  • Refilled any drinks and towels
  • Welcomed guests to the hall
  • Prepared and served tea and sweets for the guests
  • Washed up the utensils
  • Handled any foreign's guests emails and calls
  • Handled any miscellaneous task, like cutting papers and moving the luggage
For Takimotokan, if there were any foreign guests, I will be the one in charge of explaining the ryokans and rooms layout during check-in, any reservations requested and later the dining part. This gave me some responsibility, which I'm really happy. I like how they treated me like I'm part of them. 

Me making matcha for guests (shaka shaka)

After the check-in period, then comes the dinner. Luxury ryokans like these, usually include dinner and breakfast. The meals served to them are called Kaiseki style, similar to fine dining course meal. During this period, what I usually do are:
  • Table setting
  • Plating (only for Umi no Hana)
  • Served the dishes (minor duty, usually only to foreign guests or when there's a huge group of guests and under supervision of senior)
  • WASHED the utensils (MAIN duty)
  • Keep the utensils back to their original place
  • Prepared utensils for tomorrow's breakfast
  • Prepared futon (done once)
As you can see from above, at night my duty are mainly washing bowls (my poor hands....JK). The reason why a simple serving dish job was seldom given to me is because in this Kaiseki style meal, the sequence and the way the course is served, the direction to place the dish and the explanation of the dish are all very important. Thankfully, they still give me the opportunity to learn and I could still perform the job when needed. 

As I explained in working hour above, in Takimotokan, there are times where I worked in the morning shift. What morning shift does is pretty similar to the dining period, instead of dinner, breakfast is served. In addition to that, I also did:
  • Partial room cleaning, like changing the used stuff to new stuff
  • Sent the guests off
Overall, Takimotokan gave me a lot more opportunity to try the different jobs in a ryokan. One reason is because they are not afraid and are pretty encouraging to let me do different things. Second reason, there are a lot of foreign guests. When I had nothing to do, I get to see the chefs preparing food, something I enjoyed and found it fascinating. They even introduced to me the dishes they are preparing, taught me the ingredients that they used, and let me try some of the food! The staff there are really friendly and you can say that I'm quite close to all of the staff, including the bosses. My boss even brought me to a traditional music performance and they even invite me to their company dinner! It's like a whole big family.

As of Umi no Hana, most of the guests are Japanese. Unlike Takimotokan, Umi no Hana's ryokan structure is a bit special, in which there are a main house (本館 - honkan) and 3 other outer rooms (離れ - hanare). The guests in hanare will be dining in a "restaurant". And I was in charge of that area together with one senior. When I said senior, most of them are quite new, with a few months of experience. Imagine 2 not-so-experience working together. The one higher in seniority would rarely "order" the new staff to do something to reduce any unwanted "accident".

Opportunity to serve only comes when I get to work with the most senior one. So, my main duty was washing the utensils when I worked with the younger ones, for a few days. Of course, I wouldn't want to stay at that position forever. So, I observed them plating and remembering the sequence of the course and helped them with the plating, so that they only need to provide the best service to the guests. I also tried to serve the easy-to-explain food later on. Because of the honkan and hanare structure, I didn't get to work with all the staff all the time, though they do take turns to work with me. So, I had to be flexible with their working style. If I said Takimotokan is a family, Umi no Hana is more like a workplace. It's where I have to learn to take initiative to do something instead of waiting for them to give me a job.


4. Meal
As I was not paid for this internship, meal is provided for me. It may be 2 meals or 1 meal, depends on the company I worked in.

As for Takimotokan, I was given 2 meals. One eating in the ryokan and the other to take back home. I am free to choose when I want to take my meal and I usually ate at about 1700 till the latest 1800, when there's not much things to do. The meal that they provided to me are usually nabe, salad, instant fried stuff and some very home-cooked meal. I even get to try their popular local cuisine - ayu 鮎!







For the meal that I could take home, I took it as brunch, usually before going to work. They are very generous with the portion. Just what I need. <3






As for Umi no Hana, they only provided 1 meal. Unlike Takimotokan which is a more secluded area, the place I stay in Umi no Hana has a lot more access to restaurants and convenience stores. So, at the very least I could still purchase some food if I was hungry. Because I'd taken so many pictures of food in Takimotokan and in another internship place, I got bored of taking food and therefore, there's only 1 that I took.

beef udon and side dish asari


5. Accommodation
I, too, was given accommodation to stay.

I have done a video on the accommodation provided by Takimotokan. If you have not watched it, here you go!


The view of the surroundings is superb, with lots of greenery.

The last day of my internship, there is snows on top of the mountain

For Umi no Hana, I have not done the video yet, but here's a picture of the accommodation from the outside.


They are all equipped with the necessary stuff: futon, heater, kitchen and stuff. But I must say that the accommodation provided by Umi no Hana is still not warm enough for me, even though I'd switched on the heater to the highest temperature, 30 degree Celsius. Why? This is because the heater that they used is a normal air-conditioner with both cooling and heating system, it's called danbou (暖房). As opposed to heater that releases heat from below, danbou releases heat from above. So, the heat couldn't really circulate the whole room and it takes forever to make the room warm. The heater in Japan that could actually warm the room effectively is this not-so-modern looking machine:


Since I don't have to pay the bills, you can imagine I splurge on the usage of the danbou. After receiving the bill, I felt bad about it and decided to turn down the temperature and on it only when I needed it. I will insert the video here once I've done editing it.


Overall, I'm very happy with my internship experience as I have learnt a lot of things, in terms of omotenashi (Japanese hospitality), food and culture! I enjoyed learning them very much!

That's all for my internship experience in Ryokan. The next part will be internship experience in Ryoutei. Please free feel to drop me a message if you want to know something more about my internship experience.

Till then~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quitting ICAEW (Not official)

Internship Experience in Ryoutei (料亭)