Spartan Super 2016

Hey everyone!!!

My classes started this week!!! My first 2 papers for this semester are Audit and Assurance and Financial Management. As always, our lecturers started the lecture with some scares, jokes and without further wasting time, they started with the first few chapters. Also, meeting with my friends after a semester felt so good. We had lots of talking and catching up. Of course, I did not fail to ask about the situations last semester. Seems bad to me with the low passing rate for the school tests but, surprisingly, they told me that the actual was easier compared to the internal exams. Anyway, I hope I can cope with all the stress but for today, I'm not going to talk more about ICAEW. What I'm about to talk is an extremely fun activity that I participated on the 20th of March, which means last Sunday - Spartan Super Race!!!

Earlier this year, I registered this race together with my friends, my sister and my cousin. I participated this race because I have always fond of the obstacles run and wanted to try it and because I want to know how far my workout has brought me. And, I'm pretty sure those are the reasons of my sister and cousin participating as well. So yea, I resumed my workout (mostly weights lifting) after I came back from Korea and so came the big day.

After having my breakfast, my cousin came to fetch me and my sister to the destination - Canary Garden Black River Village. It took about 30 minutes from my house. After done with the parking, we went straight to register ourselves in one of these booths.


As we registered, they gave us an envelope and we were told to get our goodies bag. The envelope consisted of:

Timing chip, plastic wristband, Spartan wristband, drink wristband, headband and bib
After collecting these items, we went to the festival area to have a light lunch while waiting for my friends to arrive. Since the organisers told us to arrive an hour and a half earlier before the race, we had too much free time idling under the hot weather. Apparently, the government even warned us about the heat wave during the race day. Anyway, we head to the food booth to fill our stomach.

No food is cheap during events....
Indeed they were expensive and small in portion but the taste, I can say, was slightly above average. As my friends arrived, we dropped our baggages in the baggage counter and that's where I stopped taking pictures (I do not want to destroy my phone and want to enjoy the race to the max). Originally I thought of carrying a small backpack to the race but my friends told me my kind of backpack is not allowed. Thus, I entered the race with empty hands. While it is good, but the only thing that I was worrying was getting really thirsty in the middle of the race.

Finished with the preparation, we headed to the starting line although it was not our stated time. However, since the time is not recorded based on the time we registered, but the time we run out of the starting point, we started a session earlier. After a little shouting of "I'm Spartan" and "Arooo", the race started.

The race started of with a short run. Then, we passed a few simple obstacles like crossing or maybe jumping over some drains and walls. The size of the drains and walls increased throughout the whole course (what I remembered is that the walls are 6ft to 11ft tall). While I love to climb over the walls but I have fear towards the drains since I was young. Besides the first drain, I practically crossed most of the drains by wading over the mud. While my sister, cousin and friends did try to jump over the drains, they skipped some of the dangerous (slippery or too big gaps) drains after some terrible falls, which my teammates ended up bleeding.

While I did say I waded almost all of the drains, I had no idea why I decided to try to jump over 2 of the drains. Results: heavy fall. I ended up having mud all over my face and hurting my lips with a slight concussion. And, the last drains I did was the most dramatic and painful one. It was quite a huge drain but I decided to jump over because my teammates had successfully jumped over, the surrounding was not slippery and this was the last drain, which made me think that I need to overcome my phobia. So, I started to run but as I was near the drain, my fear took over and I pulled a break. However, with the inertia, I had 2 choices: fall into the drain (which is almost my height) or jump over. With my body position at that moment, it would be a flat fall, so I decided with the latter. With the little momentum left,  I jumped over. OMG. It was a flat hit to the "wall"!! It was so painful that I had no energy to climb over it. My cousin and other participants quickly pulled me up and I squatted while trying to accustom to the pain (which I am pretty good at). After a while, I continued with the last few obstacles.

Enough of the drains, let's talk about the obstacles. The link is some of the obstacles that we went through during the course. The obstacles that are not stated in the link are variation of monkey bar, slope climbing (with the ropes), variation of rope climbing net and weight lifting. I think that are most of it. I tried to do all the obstacles even though I know some of them are impossible for me to accomplish, but try no harm right? Of course, I was able to do accomplish or maybe halfway through some of them with the help of my teammates, especially the boys (I am grateful from the bottom of my heart). While I was struggling on the obstacles, my cousin, on the other hand, did them as though they are nothing. He passed through all the obstacles, except the spear throw, beautifully. He was practically a star in the race as whenever he passed an obstacle, the participants clapped their hands in amazed. I am sooooo so proud of him. However, I felt quite bad at the same time as I slow him down a lot.

But even so, we did finish the race and got the medal and the finisher t-shirt. Guess how much time did we take to complete this 13km and 20+ obstacles race? It was 5 hours and 17 minutes!!! Wow, we might be the slowest of all the participants XD. After taking some pictures in the picture booth, we claimed our bags and had an open shower (basically, to wash off the dirt).

Dirt all over us
The race was amazing, but what amazed me are the participants. Even though we are not of the same team, they helped each other and gave encouragement to each other, which are rarely seen during a race. In this sense, I still have much to learn. Also, I got to see my cousin stunning act, which is really satisfying although I couldn't do it. At the end of the day, we received a lot of things: fun, experience, teamwork, medal, t-shirt and of course lots of injuries, which I think is worthy.

To end this post, I want to give a big thank to Spartan organiser and whoever that has helped me during the race. Thank you very much!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quitting ICAEW (Not official)

Internship Experience in Ryokan (旅館 - Japanese-styled Hotel)

Internship Experience in Ryoutei (料亭)