A chocolatey birthday

October 16th is my birthday. 

This year, it falls on the Monday. As I have to work on the Monday, the celebration with my family was done a day earlier. As usual, we kids ordered a cake from my aunt. My order this year was - a cake that everyone can eat. The reason is because my beloved grandma doesn't like anything that has the smell of dairy product. So, in the past, she didn't have any of our birthday cakes. I didn't really like that, which was why the special order this year. 

A chiffon cake topped with konnyaku jelly and a generous amount of strawberry

To be honest, it was the worst texture cake I have ever tried, but to see that everyone can eat it, I was very happy. It was the best cake. My aunt also fermented a grape wine to be opened during this day.




As it hasn't age for long, it is a little sweet and fairly easy to drink, suitable for light drinker. As I have the Asian Flsuh Syndrome, I know that my drinking ability is bad, but little did I know it is worse. A glass of about 8% alcohol content wine, have me threw up what I had ate earlier. Thank goodness it did not happen outside.

On the 17th, I had a short celebration with my friends. Unlike the previous years, where I refused to celebrate with my friends, this year was different. This is probably because I have not met with any of them for so long that I missed them so much. A great opportunity to meet with them.

A chocolate hazelnut cake

On the 18th, I had a celebration with my sister and her boyfriend. It was a treat from "him". Everyone who knows me knows that I love chocolate. So, he decided to treat me to a chocolate meal. It's called the Molten Chocolate Cafe.

the interior

Molten Chocolate Cafe is a similar cafe to the more popular Dip n Dip. The difference is that it has a wider variety of choice and a classier feel.

The irresistible chocolate fountains 

We ordered 4 items:

In total RM 76

Earl Grey that comes in a little pot

Molten Planet
Pure Belgium Dark and Milk Chocolate combined and blended with mocha and chocolate ice cream
RM 18.50

This drink came up to be better than what I was expecting. One would have thought that this drink would give a thicker consistency due to the "pure Belgium dark and milk chocolate" which might relate to the "Dark and Milk chocolate fountain". However, it was not thick at all. In fact, it gives a light and smooth but chocolatey texture. As you drink, you can feel bits of blended dark and milk chocolate that has deposited at the bottom of the glass.

Sizzling
Dipped in sizzling dark chocolate with a selection of pancake, brownies, or waffle
RM 26.50

I have not seen any restaurant that has sizzled any chocolate before. Have you? So, here comes the  how can I not order one? However, there is one problem. I wasn't really fancy with the dark chocolate, at first, and requested to change. For one, dark chocolate is rough and bitter. For two, can you imagine the "heatiness" with dark chocolate and the sizzling? "Headache or maybe sore throat will hit in later", that's what I thought. Thankfully, the change was not allowed.

The taste of sizzling dark chocolate was way beyond what I expected. The texture of the chocolate is smooth, no powdery texture that I hate. The taste is not bitter, not too sweet and extremely chocolatey. It gives the satisfaction a chocolate lover, at least I, would have love. The downside of this dish is that it is burning hot and would not suit people with cat's tongue. The ice cream topped on the pancake would have cooled down the heat, but ice cream melts. Wait, or not to wait? You decide.

Crunch Ice Cream
Chocolate of your choice covered in rice crisps and a scoop of vanilla ice cream
RM 14.50

This little guy here is the bomb. A very normal dessert but the combination of rice crisps, ice cream and chocolate is sooo perfect! No words can describe the tastiness of this dessert. Just order!

That's all for the celebration part. Now, come the gifts:

A boots and a phone stand for my trip to Japan.
Hope to take some good videos this time.

A "birthday pack" from my friends

For birthday, I love to receive chocolates that I have never tried before. And so,  I would like to introduce you this chocolate - Lindt's A Touch of Sea Salt 47% dark chocolate, that my friends introduce to me. This dark chocolate isn't that powdery like the others that I have tried, probably because of the higher content of cocoa butter and the presence of anhydrous milk fat that give it smooth texture. The amount of sea salt isn't in abundance, therefore there will be a little adventure going on in your mouth when you eat it. The moment you taste it, there's a tingling bits of happiness, or should I say jackpot. The bitterness and the sweetness is in balanced.

On the other hand, Lindt's Milk Chocolate with Crunchy Caramel Pieces and Sea Salt (not shown in the picture above) is a total opposite of the Lindt's A Touch of Sea Salt 47% dark chocolate. Due to the presence of caramel, the already very sweet milk chocolate becomes even sweeter and it covers up the chocolate taste. With the addition of sea salt, the whole chocolate becomes very complicated. I wasn't even sure what I was eating. This chocolate is recommended for those who doesn't really like too much of chocolate.

Next, is the Swiss Milk Chocolate with grounded hazelnut from Marks & Spencer (the small little bar on the right). The milkiness and the smoothness of the texture is good. It is a little on the sweet side with a satisfactory chocolate taste. But, for some reason, the nuttiness gives this bar of chocolate a hollow feeling. It's like you won't be  satisfied no matter the amount of chocolate you eat.

Finally, the Swiss 72% Extra Fine Dark Chocolate. Due to the higher content of cocoa solids, it gives off a powdery texture in the end. However, it does melt properly in the mouth. The taste sequence is from chocolatey to bitterness and lastly refined sweetness. The aftertaste is of bitter. I don't usually like something like this as I could not eat a lot at one time. But a block every morning wouldn't be too bad.

Well, that's all for this post. Isn't this a very chocolatey birthday?

Till next time~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quitting ICAEW (Not official)

Internship Experience in Ryokan (旅館 - Japanese-styled Hotel)

Internship Experience in Ryoutei (料亭)