ICAEW: Different learning experience

Hi!!! It's been a long time since I posted anything related to ICAEW. So here's one. 

For this semester, I took Business Planning: Taxation. It's supposed to be the last paper for professional level. As I deferred one semester, I took this paper second last, before Business Strategy.  I was told that this paper is the toughest paper in this level. 

(IMPORTANT: Scholarship recipients are not allowed to defer. My deferment was a mistake by the office).

Unlike any other subjects, this subject is a little special, in which there are 2 lecturers who will be teaching it. One is from local and the another is from UK. Basically, it starts with local lecturer, which is then taken over by the UK lecturer. So, this class is a super-value as you are paying the same price as other classes in professional level. 


How does the class looks like? 

It's a 7 days crash course in a row, from 9.00am - 4.00pm, though he released us the earliest by 4.30pm and latest by 5.00pm. It's an extremely tiring class where all the knowledge is stuff into our brain as much as possible. Due to this, it's impossible for me to do anything after this as my "fuse" is burnt. After this crash course, there will be another 7 days revision classes conducted by him as well. During those period, he will teach us to tackle the questions.

Unlike the usual classes, where there are only full time students, the crash course combines with the part-time students. So, part-time students have to take off some time from their work. For the revision classes, there will only be 3  days where both part-time and full time students are combined. 

Although the classes are full of new information, thankfully the lecturer is a pretty good comedian, on par with dear Mr. Bean. He is not embarrassed to act out to keep us entertain and awake. His comedies are new and fresh, that although I don't really like attend his class (as I need to stay awake  XD), I looked forward to his joke. 

At the end of the classes, we received our "homework", in which we were told to revise what we had done in class with the addition of extra reading. Even though we were explicitly told to revise, I did not, as I was too tired to do anything. (I did revise a little for the first 2 days, but remained dead for the remaining days).


My thoughts

This is my first time being taught by a non-asian lecturer. It sure is different. It took me quite some time to get use to his lecturing style, from being spoon-fed to interactive learning. So, is the British accent (I was infatuated with the accent. Only after a little while that the accent shake off and it sounds so normal to me). It's good being taught by a different lecturer once in a while. Because of this, for the first time in my life, I paid so much attention in class. For the first time, I slept early so as to not fall asleep in class (still, I fell asleep on the last day).

After the class is over, I however, revert back to my normal lifestyle.

This is a very short update from me. One more semester and I'm done with professional level!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quitting ICAEW (Not official)

Internship Experience in Ryoutei (料亭)

Internship Experience in Ryokan (旅館 - Japanese-styled Hotel)